Monday, October 18, 2010

Buried: Movie Review


Since I like using other posters, I used this instead. And WOW. What a wonderful experience for me. Very haunting too. Since this movie can go 2 ways (you either love it or hate it), I suggest that if you don't want to see a guy stuck in a coffin for 94 minutes and just that only, don't watch it. But if you want to see how does it feel to be stuck in a coffin for that long of a time, read on.

Paul Conroy (Ryan Reynolds) is an American truck driver working in Iraq. He and his crew was ambushed by Iraqis and now, he's stuck 6 feet, or maybe even lower under and he has to cough up 5 million dollars as ransom so that he can escape. But from the time that he has (Movie time began at 6.05PM) to 9PM to pay up, can he survive?

The director was really having fun with the movie and its audience. Ryan probably felt it was a very good script and we all have to agree. Being stuck in a coffin for 94 minutes is no joke. I think its hard. But frankly, I somehow felt that Ryan did not fully deliver his A Game. Somehow, something was a miss. But I couldn't pinpoint it.

The script was also a genius. Truly awesome. Reason being you can see how they bring in so many issues being spoken off that truly makes the movie so believable that it goes higher with each note possible. The situation became so tensed that it really drives you at the edge of your seat wondering how Paul would make it out alive, or not.

I left the cinema hall with this very closed feeling. Like my whole mind was in a coffin. The dark theatre hall gave me a very horrible glimpse of how it feels to be really stuck in that coffin and to place yourself there. I was so quiet that i was holding the bar of a railing at The Curve after I left the movie. Got scolded by my GF but its alright, she didn't know what I went through. It all felt real. It was creepy.

I have to give kudos to the camera work. Very well done. All the while the movie can feel so closed. heck, it could even just be in a small studio and it would've been cool enough. The time lapse also was very accurate in the beginning. But somehow, it was not towards the end of the movie. (The time began at 6.05Pm to 6.35PM and a little bit. It did make up 30 minutes of the time. And then he woke up after sleeping a bit around 7PM. And then 8.15PM onwards). These little details were really awesome.

And the ending, well, thank God it wasn't typical, but definitely left a WTF moment for the hall I was in. Even the last line in the whole film shows that the director was really having fun with its audience. Its really a piece of work.

Sadly, the movie would only work once. That's it. Its not enough for repeated viewings. Once you know what happens, you're ok already. Perhaps one of the weakest points, but still shouldn't stop you from doing all of this.

Kyo's Score: 9/10. One of the best movies I had this year left feeling creeped out and smiling a little bit once it ended. I really had good fun. Even if it took a lot out of me to get out of that spooky feeling. hehe.

No comments: